The avocado is a unique fruit because unlike most fruits that primarily contain carbohydrates, avocados are loaded with fats. It is prized for its high nutrient content, its good flavor and rich texture. Looking for reasons to add avocados to your diet? Here are five good ones:
1. Avocados contain oleic acid, a specific type of mono-unsaturated fat that has been found to curb hunger by stimulating the production of a key appetite-suppressing compound. Oleic acid has also been linked to reduced inflammation and has been shown to have beneficial effects to genes associated with cancer.
2. Avocados are rich in fiber, which can contribute to weight loss, and reduce blood sugar spikes.
3. One avocado a day has been shown to help lower bad cholesterol levels in overweight and obese individuals, according to a research published in the Journal of the American Heart Association. Several other studies have shown that avocados can:
- Reduce total cholesterol levels significantly.
- Reduce blood triglycerides by up to 20%.
- Lower LDL cholesterol by up to 22%.
- Increase HDL (the “good”) cholesterol by up to 11%.
4. Avocados are actually very high in potassium, a key nutrient linked to reduced blood pressure.
5. Avocados are high in Lutein and Zeaxanthin, nutrients that are linked to a significantly reduced risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.